Here at the Scottish Tourism Alliance we’re looking forward to STW2016 and all the fun it will bring but we also want to do it in a way that won’t harm Scotland’s people or places.
This year, using the Resource Efficient Scotland guide as a framework, we’re taking steps to deliver our Signature Conference in a more sustainable way. Here’s what we’re doing:
- Using a venue with a strong CSR policy
EICC has its own sustainability programme Plan-it Green, is ISO 14001 accredited, holds Green Tourism Gold status and is focused on supporting the local community
- EICC is easily accessible by public transport
- Making public transport easy with special deals from our partners ScotRail and CalMac
- Maps on the website to help you get around Edinburgh by public transport
- Deals on hotels near to the venue and transport hubs
All our hotel partners use good sustainability practices
- Encouraging all our team to use public transport to attend the Signature Conference
- Collecting delegate travel data to help us measure carbon emissions
- Measuring our food waste so that we can work to reduce it at future events
- Separating food waste and recycling it to generate energy
- Working with Bidvest Foodservice to source and promote food from local producers for our Dinner with a Difference
- Using EICC’s kitchenware to avoid waste from disposables
- Serving good Scottish water in jugs instead of using bottled water
- Reducing packaging waste by avoiding offering biscuits or sauces in individual packets
- Reusing staging, displays and stands were we can and recycling when we can’t
- Using a paperless ticketing system to cut down on paper use
- Minimising what we print to reduce paper use
- Reusing delegate badges and collecting them after the event to use them again
Lots of little changes that mount up to making a big difference to people and planet – and save us some pennies too.
Do you have a sustainability story to share? No matter how ‘small’ you think your contribution is the STA comms team would love to hear from you!
Mhairi and Gill will be tweeting, posting and sharing your news through the STA’s weekly and bi-monthly eBlasts. So stay in touch and share your sustainability news through our online portal.